This simple shakshuka recipe with poached eggs, tomatoes, spinach & feta is a delicious breakfast or brunch idea. Serve with crusty bread to sop up the sauce.
1 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, sliced
small bunch coriander, stalks and leaves chopped separately
1 packet baby spinach leaves
2 x 400 g cans cherry tomatoes
1 tsp caster sugar
100 g PEPPADEW® Piquanté Pepper slices or chopped, hot or mild
100 g Feta cheese, cubed
- Heat the oil in a frying pan that has a lid, then soften the onions, garlic and cori-ander stalks for 5 mins until soft. Stir in the tomatoes and sugar, PEPPADEW® Piquanté Peppers, and then simmer for 8-10 mins until thick.
- Add the baby spin-ach leaves, allow to wilt slightly but don’t overcook. The sauce can be prepared ahead up to this point, and reheated just before serving.
- Using the back of a large spoon, make 4 dips in the sauce, then crack an egg into each one.
- Place cubes of feta around the eggs. Put a lid on the pan, then cook over a low heat for 6-8 mins, until the eggs are done to your liking.
- Scatter with the coriander leaves and serve with crusty bread.