Warm up with a bowl of hearty Piquanté Pepper Veggie Lentil Soup. An easy & healthy vegetarian soup recipe packed full of vegetables, grains & comforting flavours.
125 ml olive oil, plus additional for drizzling on top
850 g (3 large) onions, chopped
800 g (2 leeks) chopped leeks
15 g minced garlic (3 cloves)
20 g salt
ground black pepper
10 stalks fresh thyme leaves or 1 tsp dried thyme
3 cups (8 stalks) medium diced celery
3 cups (4 – 6) medium diced carrots
6 – 8 PEPPADEW® Sweet Piquanté Peppers Mild or Hot Whole cut into quar-ters
2,5 liters chicken or vegetable stock
¼ cup tomato paste
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 can 400 g brown lentils, drained
Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large stockpot on medium heat, heat the oil and sauté the onions, leeks and garlic with salt, pepper, thyme for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are translucent and very tender.
- Add the celery and carrots and sauté for 10 more minutes.
- Add the stock, tomato paste, brown sugar, PEPPADEW® Sweet Piquanté Pepper quarters and lentils, cover and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 min until lentils are cooked through.
- Check seasoning, add the red wine vinegar and serve hot drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
- Parmesan shavings and sliced PEPPADEW® Sweet Piquanté Peppers to gar-nish with a grinding of black pepper.