For the gammon
3 kg gammon joint
1 L orange juice
water, to cover
8 cloves, plus extra for studding the gammon
2 onions, peeled, halved
4 large bay leaves
For the glaze
120 g soft brown sugar
1 orange, zest and juice
1 cup PEPPADEW® Sweet Piquanté Peppers Mild Chopped and brine
3 tbsp clear honey
3 tbsp orange marmalade
3 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- For the gammon, place the gammon into a large, deep pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and drain.
- Return the gammon to the pan, then pour in enough orange juice to cover half of the gammon. Pour in enough cold water to cover the gammon completely.
- Push two cloves into each onion half and add to the pan along with the bay leaves. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook gently for three hours, adding more hot water to the pan as necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Remove the gammon from the pan and place into a roasting tin. Remove the skin, leaving behind a thin layer of fat.
- Score the gammon in a diamond pattern with the tip of a sharp knife. Stud the centre of each diamond with a clove.
- For the glaze, mix together all of the glaze ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Spoon the glaze evenly over the gammon.
- Roast the gammon in the oven for 45 minutes, basting frequently with the glaze and pan juices, until the gammon is cooked through and golden-brown all over.
- Set aside to rest, then carve into thick slices to serve. Alternatively, the gammon can be eaten cold.
Serve with roasted potatoes.