800 g (28.22 oz) hake fillets, de-scaled with skin on
Seasoned cake flour
Vegetable oil for frying
Mixed salad greens, tomatoes and cucumber to serve
PEPPADEW® Pickled Onion Vinaigrette:
2 jars PEPPADEW® Pickled onions
200 ml (4/5 cup) olive oil
2 bay leaves
5 black pepper corns
3 cloves of garlic, slice
200 ml (4/5 cup) PEPPADEW® Pickled Onion pickling liquid (from jars above)
30 ml (2 tbps) Italian parsley, chopped
- Cut the fish into portions. Coat the fish with the seasoned flour, and fry in vegetable oil until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a kitchen paper towel to absorb the extra oil. Set aside.
- Make the vinaigrette. Drain the PEPPADEW® Pickled onions and reserve the pickling liquid. Cut the onions into thick slices. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the garlic slices. Cook for a minute or two until the garlic starts to colour. Add the bay leaves, peppercorns and the reserved pickling liquid. Be careful of the splattering oil. Simmer for 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the fried fish portions in a glass dish layering it with the Pickled Onion slices. Pour the vinaigrette over the fish and allow to cool down completely. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, sprinkle the parsley over the fish salad. Spoon the fish salad onto a bed of salad greens and top with cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices.