4-6 mielies, with their husks
150g (5.3 oz.) softened butter
½ cup (125ml) PEPPADEW® Mild Vegetable Atchar with Piquanté Peppers
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
A squeeze of fresh lime juice
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pull the husks of the mielies downwards to the base. Twist the husks and place in a bowl of cold water (this is to prevent the husks from catching alight).
- Place the mielies over hot coals, on the braai.
- Turn the mielies every 2-3 minutes once they have started to soften and have a slight char. Repeat this process until the mielies are completely cooked.
- Once cooked, remove the mielies from the braai and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the softened butter with the PEPPADEW® Mild Vegetable Atchar with Piquanté Peppers, followed by the fresh thyme leaves, lime juice and season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Place the mielies on a serving platter and add a dollop of Atchar butter to each mielie. Scatter with additional fresh thyme leaves, just before serving.
For an added twist, substitute half of the PEPPADEW® Mild Vegetable Atchar with Piquanté Peppers with PEPPADEW® Mild Mango Atchar with Piquanté Peppers.